Reasons to Update Your Estate Plan
- Family Changes. Marriage, divorce, children and grandchildren can all lead to estate plan modification.
- Change in Financial Circumstances. What may have been an appropriate estate plan when your income and net worth were much lower may no longer be appropriate today.
- Geographic Move. Different states have different planning ramifications. Anytime you move from one state to another, your estate plan should be reviewed.
- Change in Tax Law. Anytime there is a change in the estate tax law, changes in your estate plan may be required. What might have been a great structure under old tax law may no longer be appropriate.
- Special Circumstances. Sometimes a child has special needs due to physical or mental limitations. Sometimes a surviving spouse's ability to earn a living changes due to a disability. Such situations create special needs that often require special planning.