Free Annual Credit Reports
On September 1, 2005 consumers in Pennsylvania were granted the right to access one annual credit report from each of the nationwide credit reporting companies (Equifax, Experian and TransUnion) free of charge. Consumers may choose to order free reports from all three nationwide consumer reporting companies at the same time or they may order the reports from each company one at a time. The law allows the consumer to order one free copy of his/her credit report from each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies every 12 months.
Consumers may order their free annual credit report from the three nationwide consumer reporting companies by:
- Visiting www.annualcreditreport.com (Consumers who visit this site should close their Internet browser after obtaining their report to ensure that their transaction is secure and their personal information is not at risk.),
- Calling toll-free 1-877-322-8228, or
- Mailing a completed Annual Credit Report Request Form to:
Annual Credit Report Request Service
P.O. Box 105281
Atlanta, GA 30348-5281
This form can be downloaded from www.annualcreditreport.com or from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) web site www.ftc.gov/credit. The form can also be requested by calling the FTC's Consumer Response Center at 1-877-FTC-HELP.
Additionally, the FTC has issued two new consumer education brochures available online:
1. "Your Access to Free Credit Reports" at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre34.shtm
2. "Want a Free Annual Credit Report" at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt156.htm